A bow and arrow attack that left five people dead and three others wounded has shocked Norway.
A 37-year-old Danish man has been arrested and is being questioned by police, who have not ruled out terrorism.
The attack was the country’s deadliest since the far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people in 2011.
The attack took place on Wednesday evening in Kongsberg, which is about 80km (49 miles) south-west of Norway’s capital, Oslo.
The attacker launched the assault near a Coop Extra supermarket on Kongsberg’s west side.
Officers named him as Espen Andersen Brathen, a 37-year-old Danish citizen with a Danish mother and Norwegian father.
Police prosecutor Ann Irén Svane Mathiassen told TV2 that the man had lived in Kongsberg for several years and was known to police. He will be assessed by psychiatric experts, she told NRK.
The suspect converted to Islam and “there were fears linked to radicalisation previously”, Chief Saeverud told reporters.
He said the latest report of concern about radicalisation was in 2020. “We haven’t had any reports about him in 2021,” Mr Saeverud said.
Speaking on Wednesday, acting Prime Minister Erna Solberg called the attack “gruesome,” according to Euro News. In comments to Norwegian news agency NTB, incoming Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere said the assault represented “a cruel and brutal act.” /Compiled by argumentum.al from wires